If you own a horse that has a very short back, very sloped back, or is unusually narrow or wide at the wither, it could be that you have one of those "unusual" horses that our standard Equi-Balanced tree won’t fit. Well, we would like to build a saddle that fits your horse too. By following these few steps, we can evaluate your horse’s needs and determine from there which course of action would be the best to consider.
Obtain a device called a “flexible curve”. This measuring tool is easily found at an office or art supply store. It should be at least 18” long. You will use it to take a shape of your horse’s back in 4 places, and then trace that shape onto a sturdy paper or poster board. Use a separate piece of paper for each tracing.
1. Bend the flexible curve in half and place it over the horse’s withers where the fork of the tree would sit. Conform the flexible curve on the withers and shoulders by pressing it to follow the shape of your horse, as shown in the A photo above.
2. Then carefully take the flexible curve off your horse and lay it on the paper, taking care not to change the shape that you have obtained. Trace the underside edge of the curve, making a line that is your horse’s shape, as shown in C. Mark the pattern to show the left and right side of your horse.
3. Repeat #1 and #2 steps above 7” back from first measurment.
4. Repeat #1 and #2 steps above at 15” behind where the first measurement was taken.
5. After taking the three shapes above, straighten out the curve and place it length ways on your horse’s back, from the wither to the croup, as shown in B. Then follow step #2 above.
6. Include photos of your horse, with his head in a natural up position, and from both sides.
Send the four drawings to your Authorized Tucker Dealer or to our shop at Tucker Saddlery,
P.O. Box 797,
Yoakum, Texas 77995 for evaluation, and we will have one of our Saddle Technicians contact you as soon as is possible. Be sure to include your name, address and daytime phone number. And, photos of your horse are always helpful.